A 16th Century Naalbinded mitten

As many of you know I am a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism.  We research and recreate items and activities from pre-seventeenth century history.  One of my favorite things to do is naalbinding, something I learned to do about 14 or so years ago after joining the S.C.A.


For several years I participated in Arts and Sciences, whereby you researched a project, wrote a set of documentation for it, basically a paper, and recreated whatever the object was that you were researching.  I stopped that, and teaching, due to health issues a few years ago.  This past year I decided it was time to jump back into the fray.  I decided to pick a project that used the naalbinding technique.

I chose to do my project on the Åsle mitten.  This was a mitten found in a bog near the Åsle Tå community near Falkoping, Sweden.  It was originally thought to have been from the 3rd to 4th C A.D.  Later testing proved it to be from the 16th C.  

In the next series of posts I am going to share my documentation and  steps to recreating this mitten.

Stay tuned.

Labels: , , , ,